Monday, January 12, 2009

I shave!

I don't shave, ever. I left that business behind shortly after returning from my mission. The reason for this being the ingrown hairs, razor burn, and irritation I consistently get if I shave. This occurs whether I use an electric, disposable, or mach 3. However, recently my nephew Jed informed me that there is a better way. And it just so happens that it's the old school way. Thats right, lathering up with real shaving cream (not the goo that comes in a can) and a badger hair brush and shaving with a double edge safety razor. So I did some research and it turns out there is a whole community of die hard wet shavers out there that swear by this style of shaving. So thanks to a generous birthday gift from my wonderful mother-in-law Diane, I was ready to give it a try.
So here is all the new gear: A badger hair brush, a Murker extra heavy double edge razor with Derby blades, Nancy Boy original shaving cream and arter shave gel, and a bar of pure block alum.
Step 1: this may be the nicest part. put some hair conditioner on my face and then wrap it in a hot towel for a few minutes.

Step 2: Creat my lather. Apparently it takes some practice to get the lather just right but I think I did pretty good.

Step 3: Lather up. Mmm nice hot lather on the face.

Step 4: Start shaving. This is more difficult than you might think. It is nothing like shaving with modern razors. I'm told it taks a few weeks to really get it down.


More shaving
Step 5: After splashing some cold water on my face, I rub it with the Alum. this helps to close the pores and stop the bleeding of any cuts.


Step 6: Finish it off with some witch-hazel based after shave.


Ahhh a nice clean shave. this first time wasn't perfect but like I said, it takes a few weeks. But it feels great and the irritation is way less than the old days. It's time to grow up and start actually shaving. Thanks again Diane!

6 comments:

Jed said...

I totally envy your gear.

Adam and Tara said...

what would you say witch hazel is exactly. what ever it is, it sounds magical. I got one of those fancy shaves from a Spanish (as in actually from Spain) barber once. the shave kind of sucked, but he strapped a vibrator-ing thing to his hand and gave me a shoulder massage. I wouldn't say it made up for the crap shave, but it sure went a long way.

Brian and Wendy said...

How long does that whole process take, an hour? Looks like fun though. I went to a real barber shop in Kansas when I was in school and he would do a straight razor shave. I'll admitt, it was awesome.

mantic59 said...

You might get some benefit from my 'how to shave' videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

MomDadO"Neil said...

you have no idea how special it makes me feel to be a part of the "cutting edge" of your shaving experience. I'm so glad you enjoy it.

Caroline said...

wow! quite the process!